This is a recipe I like to use on work days. I can prep the sauce the night before and leave it standing ready for a quick 30 minute cook when I get in. I use shop bought gluten free pasta. The sauce is dairy free and vegan. Delicious for everyone!
- 1 cup of green lentils
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes or a carton of passata depending on how smooth you want the sauce to be.
- 1 cup of vegetable stock made with one stock cube (I use knorr vegetable cubes)
- 1 onion
- 1 bell pepper (choose your colour or mix a few)
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 350g pasta
- Half a cup of broccoli florets (optional)
- Finely chop the onion and pepper and add to a large saucepan.
- Stir in the lentils, chopped tomatoes/passata, vegetable stock and herbs before leaving to stand for several hours.
- Rapidly heat the mixture until boiling then simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally (if adding broccoli add this for the final 5 mins of cooking).
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta, drain and return to the pan.
- Add the lentil sauce to the pasta and stir well ensuring all of the pasta is coated with the sauce.