During lockdown it has been VERY difficult to get hold of gluten free flour so I used a packet of genius shortcrust pastry to make this pie. It was literally “use what’s in the cupboard while we isolate”. To quote Steve it is “the best pie he’s ever had”.
- Ready to roll pastry (I used Genius shortcrust)
- 400g Diced beef steak
- Half an onion
- 1 carrot
- Half a cup of frozen peas
- 2 stock cubes (I used knorr beef cubes as they are gluten free)
- Tablespoon of oil
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 large potatoes
- 150ml water
- Shallow fry the beef in the oil whilst turning regularly to ensure it is browned all over.
- Add the finely chopped onion and diced potato and continue to fry for 3-4 mins.
- Add the diced carrot, peas and stock cubes and stir well.
- Add the water, cover and simmer for 8-10 mins.
- Whilst the mixture is simmering roll out the pastry into a sheet approx. 3mm thick.
- Grease and line the pie dish.
- Lay the pastry over the pie tin and push down into the corners. Trim any excess from around the top of the dish.
- Roll out the excess into a circle of the same thickness as before.
- Pour the meat and veg mixture into the pie tin. Cover with the pastry circle and pinch around the edges to seal. Trim any excess and use to decorate the pie.
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 25 mins or until the pastry is golden brown.