This is another favourite Greek dish in our house. Once the prep is done it’s one I can just leave in the slow cooker for a few hours. It reheats really well too so make a big batch and freeze some for another day.
- 400g diced beef
- 4-5 small onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 6 large tomatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 250 ml water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Half a teaspoon allspice
- 8 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Salt and peoper
- Olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan and brown the beef before transferring it to the slow cooker.
- Add the onions to the pan and fry, turning regularly until browned before adding them to the slow cooker.
- Add the garlic to the pan and heat for 1-2 minutes before adding the tomatoes and honey. Simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato purée, cinnamon stick, allspice, bay leaves, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well and simmer for a further 3 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce to the slow cooker and add the water. Stir well.
- Cook in the slow cooker for 2-3 hours on a high heat, check regularly and add more water if needed.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaves before serving.