Who doesn’t love school cake? This recipe is one that I love to bake and the family love to eat. Great one for baking with the kids too. Win, win, win!
For the sponge cake
- 180g dairy free butter (I use vitalite)
- 180g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 180g Free From self raising flour (I use Asda free from)
- 60ml dairy free milk (I use oatly semi skimmed)
- 1tsp vanilla essence
For the icing
- 200g icing sugar
- 4 tbsp dairy free milk
- Cream the butter and sugar together until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time mixing each egg into the mixture well.
- Add the flour a tablespoon at a time stirring well each time.
- Add the milk and vanilla essence and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a greased and lined square cake tin (I use one which is 8”).
- Bake for 25-30 mins at 160 degrees. The cake should turn golden brown and if you stick a skewer into the cake it should come out clean).
- Leave to cook in the tin for 15 mins before turning out onto a wire rack to cook fully.
- Measure the icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the milk bit by bit stirring well each time. The icing should be a thick paste consistency which falls from the spoon.
- Spoon the icing over the cake and spread with a knife.
- Add sprinkles to the top of the cake to decorate.
- Leave for 10 minutes to allow the icing to set.