This is a pasta dish based on a dairy free carbonara. It’s quick and easy to make and very tasty! I love it as I can make it with gluten free pasta or gluten full pasta. I use dairy and gluten free pesto. I also make it without the pancetta for a vegetarian version. So versatile!! It’s also lovely with grated Parmesan sprinkled on top for those of us that can eat it.
- Pasta to serve 4
- 2/3 cup pesto (I use Sacla Italia)
- Pine nuts (just a handful to sprinkle over)
- 2 eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 150g Pancetta
- Salt and black pepper
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks and 1/3 cup pesto.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Toast the pine nuts on a baking tray in a hot oven for 5 minutes.
- Fry the pancetta in a pan (it is best to start in a cold pan over low heat so it slowly cooks and gets really crispy).
- When the pancetta is done, remove it from the pan and add in a 1/3 cup of pesto. Cook for a minute or two in the pancetta fat before adding the pancetta back in along with the cooked and drained spaghetti and a tablespoon of the pasta water.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Direct heat on your pan will make the eggs curdle. Add the whisked egg and pesto mixture and toss together to combine.
- Serve and sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and ground black pepper.