This delicious side dish adds a bit of extra flavour to your potatoes and is a favourite in our household. Super easy to make and can be varied. My youngest loves it with crispy fried bacon stirred through and my eldest likes a sprinkle of grated cheese on top. To speed up the cooking time I often boil the potatoes the night before so when I get home from work I have a therapeutic smashing session before roasting!
- 800g jersey royal potatoes
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Boil the potatoes in a large pan of salted water for 12-15 mins until tender.
- Drain , return to the pan and use a masher to smash them up, but don’t fully mash them.
- Stir in the pepper and paprika.
- Heat the oil in a roasting tin in the oven. Once hot, add the potatoes and toss them in the oil to coat.
- Return the tin to the oven and roast for 20 mins.
- Remove from the oven and stir in the spring onions.
- Return to the oven for 5 mins before serving.